As the summer winds down and the warm days dwindle many people will be spending time out on the water. Whether you’re taking the boat out for a weekend or renting jet skis on a summer vacation, it’s important to remember the risks of boating and other water sports. The following tips will help keep you safe on the water and be prepared in the event of an accident.
• Understand your liability and risks. A homeowners policy is not designed to cover significant watercraft exposures and consumers should contact their Trusted Choice® independent agent to find out if coverage can be added or if they need a separate watercraft policy that fully covers damage to the boat, liability, and uninsured boaters.
• Many people rent boats but even with a watercraft policy a rental boat may not be covered.
• Never use a boat that is not equipped with fully operational safety equipment onboard. At a minimum, any boat should contain life preservers for all occupants, a well-stocked first aid kit, powerful flashlight, two-way VHF radio, fire extinguisher, flare kit, and a local area water chart. Large boats should also contain additional lines of varied size and an inflatable lifeboat.
• Never exceed the passenger capacity recommended by the manufacturer.
• Always keep all owners manuals onboard.
• Jet skis and other similar recreational water vehicles can be very dangerous and they can require separate insurance policies. Owners should also consult their Trusted Choice® independent insurance agent to make sure they have adequate liability coverage to protect them, especially if they regularly ride tandem or if they injure others in an accident.
• Children should never ride a jet ski.
• Never use a jet ski in foul weather.
• Strictly follow all safety guidelines and make sure anyone driving the vehicle knows exactly how to operate it and shut it off.
• Take care and understand the risks in storing and transporting jet skis. Standard homeowners and auto policies will not cover theft of the water vehicle from a trailer.
• Use caution when renting a jet ski and know your responsibilities. Always consult an agent to fully understand liability exposure and coverage in this situation.
Don’t get caught on the open water without the right insurance. If you need coverage for a watercraft or if you have any questions about your policy, a Gregory's Insurance professional can help you on your way to smooth sailing.