The extreme winter weather has led to many indoor areas not being adequately heated, resulting in an increase in space heater usage.Space heaters are an ideal solution for staying warm, but if not used properly they are also a fire hazard. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 25,000 residential fires every year are associated with the use of space heaters, resulting in more than 300 deaths.
Please follow these precautions to ensure safety when using a space heater:
- Do not leave a space heater on unattended.
- Place space heaters at least 3 feet away from any combustible materials (trash cans, file cabinets, etc.).
- Do not place space heaters under a desk or a table.
- Do not place space heaters in an area where water or steam is present, such as a bathroom.
- Do not plug space heaters into an extension cord or surge protector. Plug them directly into a wall outlet.
- Do not leave a space heater running near children.
- Please take care to meet these safety standards to prevent unnecessary property damage, injury, or death during these cold winter months.