Whether you are insuring personal or commercial vehicles, you are required by Nebraska state law to carry liability insurance coverage. Nebraska’s minimum coverage requirements are currently set at 25/50/25, which means you must carry a minimum of:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per injured person
- $50,000 in total bodily injury liability if more than one person is injured
- $25,000 in property damage liability coverage for any third-party property damage
Failure to carry this mandated insurance can lead to fines of up to $500 and suspension of your drivers license. The state of Nebraska exempts vehicles with dealer plates and those with 30-day plates from this insurance requirement.
State-imposed liability limits were designed to protect drivers from the high costs associated with property damage and medical care in the wake of an accident. In most cases, these amounts provide enough coverage, but accidents that involve serious injuries or fatalities can easily exceed these limits. For this reason, many Nebraskans elect to purchase higher amounts of liability coverage.
In addition to liability coverage, you can purchase additional insurance. Some of these coverage options may be required by your lender if you have financed the purchase of your vehicle. These options include:
- Collision insurance: This provides coverage for damages to your car or truck that result from a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This provides coverage for non-collision related loss or damage to your car or truck. Covered damages include fire, severe weather events, falling objects, floods, vandalism and theft.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist insurance: This provides coverage for damages or injuries you sustain in a collision if a responsible third-party lacks the necessary insurance coverage to fully manage the costs. Compensation for damages caused by hit-and-run drivers is included with this coverage.
- Personal injury protection insurance (PIP): This provides coverage for medical care to treat injuries sustained by you or your passengers in a collision, regardless of fault.
Whatever your Nebraska car insurance needs, you can easily find a suitable insurance policy with the help of an agent in the Trusted Choice network. These agents understand personal and commercial vehicle coverage needs and, as residents of Nebraska, can ensure that your policy meets all state requirements. Contact a local member agent today for more information and a variety of Nebraska car insurance quotes.